Monday, March 14, 2016

Books That Matter

Moving on...Books that mattered


We will be moving on to a new theme, but I'd like all the emails to China shared with me (along with your significant object) before you do anything else.  Our new theme revolves around reading like writers. 

For those of you who have already composed your email, polished your significant object piece, and shared them with me on one GoogleDoc (bjames@sps.org), you may select an independent reading book if you don't currently have one and use this time to read and also enjoy the link below.  


As we do some thinking about how what we read inspires or influences what we write, I thought it might be fun for you to check out a website I've seen that analyzes a bit of your own writing and tells you what published author your writing is similar to.

I tried it with one of my blog posts and evidently I write like Mark Twain. Interesting.  I also found this interesting tidbit which confirmed my suspicions that there wasn't much heft to this particular tool, but hey...

Go to I Write Like and try it yourself. 

You should also try the profspro quiz to see what author you are paired with.

Leave a comment on this post telling us your results (and what you think of them) when you do.  You might have to look up the author for more information if you don't recognize the name.  

For class on Thursday, please bring 3 books that matter to you in some way.  These could be books from childhood, books from school or classes, books that were read to you, books you've enjoyed recently.  Be prepared to briefly share your books with the class and tell us why they matter to you.  Thanks!





14 comments:

  1. Write like David Foster Wallace, Paired with Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently, I write like Cory Doctorow. I have no clue who that is.
    The author that I am most like is Ernest Hemingway! Coolio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write like Stephen King? (Based off my last blog post)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took the quiz and got C. S Lewis and Margaret Mitchell for the "I Write like" one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. - i write like Gertrude Stein based on my object post, and Harry Harrison for my I Am Me poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another Quiz: http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/08/american-writers-thesaurus-quiz/

    Guessing your Gender: http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.php

    ReplyDelete
  7. I write like Cory Doctorow and i have never read any of his works but i doubt i do

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was paired with C.S. Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wrtie like David Foster Wallace and the quiz gave me C. S. Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  10. For the quiz I got Hemingway and for the I write I got Dan Brown, Gertrude Stein, and David Foster Wallace

    ReplyDelete
  11. I write like David Foster Wallace, and the quiz result was Mark Twain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey i write like David foster. He wrote books like "Brief interviews with hideous men"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey i write like David foster. He wrote books like "Brief interviews with hideous men"

    ReplyDelete