Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Stealing Authentically

It's been a real pleasure getting to know you all these first few days.  I appreciate your patience as we've added newcomers to our class.  We have a great group, and I look forward to seeing all that you come up with throughout the semester.  To our newcomers, please be sure to do our day one assignment:  an informal letter to me.  Our second assignment is our "I Am" poem or the blogger's list of 101 Things About Me.  These were originally to be polished on Monday, but with no computers, the final copies are delayed 'till Friday.  Also, you'll be handing in your writer's notebook with five pages of free writing.  We'll spend some more time free writing Wednesday.

I wanted to gather my thoughts and give you a preview of some of the other ideas I'd like us to consider and be inspired by over the next 15 weeks, all in keeping with Jarmusch's idea that it's more than okay to use everything around you to get ideas, that it's not where you get the idea but where take it. 

I'm organizing in terms of "themes" (rather than genres) and have a variety of activities connected to each to get you started on pieces of your own making.  Here's what I'm thinking (perhaps in this order or with some adjustments)

Writing inspired by:

  • Objects
  • Color
  • Art
  • Dreams
  • Books
  • Music
  • Food
  • Childhood
  • Photos
  • Films
  • Gifts

Leave me a comment here if you have an idea or something you'd like for us to study or try.

Thanks again for being such wonderful people to end the year with...

No comments:

Post a Comment